Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A great blog post from my friend in ministry Doug Fields


I’m a people-watcher by nature anyway, but the environments where we waited in lines, sat closely to people, and were gathered in crowds basically became “observation on steroids.” If I boiled my observation into two categories, it would be:
1. spouses saying unkind things to one another.
2. parents verbally belittling their children.
I know this isn’t a new observation, but it was such a strong scent that I couldn’t escape.
Since it doesn’t take intelligence to be critical, let me suggest one relational principle that has helped me. I realize it’s easier said than done… but it’s as simple as:
DON’T SAY EVERYTHING YOU THINK!
I realize this takes self-control and a degree of humility, but the results are amazing!
  • When an emotion is triggered and you want to react with a verbal dagger…don’t.
  • When your pride is enhanced and you want to say something that will be a zinger comeback and put the other person in their place…don’t.
  • When your patience is exhausted and a strong reaction will make you feel better…don’t.
I have a quick wit, and a propensity for sarcasm, and that is an amazing combination of skills that creates some really strong statements… that nobody hears but me.
As a spouse and a parent I’ve had to learn that I don’t need to say everything that I think. When I do, it ends up:
  1. wounding
  2. triggering more reactions
  3. demeaning those I love
  4. enhancing the situation
  5. creating negative memories
Words are powerful! Misguided words hurt… they hurt deeply.
Just because you think something doesn’t mean you have to say it. Remind yourself, not all words need to be spoken.
DON’T SAY EVERYTHING YOU THINK!
Practice it for a day and see how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. I agree....people should speak less and listen more....God gave us two ears and one mouth. Listen twice and much and we talk. I heard my Sunday School leader say this.

    ReplyDelete